Microsoft Announces Visual Studio 2010

OK Article. Very lengthy in my opinion. I would have preferred a new feature list with brief explanations. But this is a CIO magazine article, so I don't expect them to write articles in the way technical people would want them.

Microsoft Announces Visual Studio 2010

Three things to note, they have added some more architectural tools, they are merging the development and database editions of VSTS. That was a crazy idea to begin with of having two editions. Also they are becoming more agile development friendly. I know they started this in their last version but they added more tools for agile development shops.

Disclaimer: I'm not caught up in the hype (bad word to have used) of agile development methodologies. I was in a scrum environment at one time in my career. I wrote a paper in graduate school comparing agile development methodologies to traditional methodologies. In my research, as far as quality (which is usually the selling point as to why to use agile development methods), there is no difference! Research it yourself if you don't believe me (Really research it). The only reason in my opinion is to use agile methods is if you work in a CMM Level I environment (Most development shops are Level II). These are places where the project requirements change daily. All humor aside, there are arguments on both sides but the conclusion is it really depends on the people that make up the project team.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts