What I learned from my first recession - Stay In Demand!

What I learned from my first recession - Stay In Demand!

I know a guy that is in IT. He is a RPG programmer. He is getting laid-off from his job of 4 years. Now what is wrong with that picture? Well after 4 years he continued to just be a RPG programmer. He had the opportunity to learn WebSphere, Java (which are in demand) and other stuff related to the AS400 but he didn't. ADVICE: DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES AT YOUR CURRENT EMPLOYER TO KEEP YOUR SKILLS IN DEMAND.

My story


At my current employer, when I first started there, they gave a project to redesign the corporate HQ website. At this time, from me keeping up with the industry, I found out the SharePoint was and is still HOT! So I walked into my manager's office and convince them to use SharePoint to host their new website. Did they have to? NO. Did it make alot of sense? It was debateable. I did this because I knew that would be a good skill to have and it would make me more marketable.

So to whoever is reading this. DO NOT USE THE EXCUSE OF MY EMPLOYER SAID WE CANNOT DO THAT. Convince them of whatever technology you want to learn to make you more marketable because when times like these hit you would have wish you did.

Employers want to keep their people skills up to date also. It keeps employees happy, knowledgeable and loyal. Take advantage of that. Don't be like my friend.

Secondly, DON'T BE LAZY. Read books, go to user group meetings, even if you have to used your own money and vacation time, GO TO TECHINAL CONFERENCES & TRAINING. Don't always look for your employer to provide training. It's not your employer's job to keep your skills up-to-date.

Don't say I did not warn you. This is the second economic recession of my career and it probably will not be my last.

I learned actually 3 things from the first economic recession.

1. Keep your skills in line with demand.
2. Pay attention to the economy and the stock market.
3. Keep up with things in the IT industry. Don't fall behind!

And also I don't care if you are over 62 years old. If you are working in the IT industry and plan on to be still working for at least another year. You should be doing the 3 things I outlined.

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts