Yesterday's Deploying SharePoint Roadshow

Yesterday I considered myself fortunate to go a "Deploying SharePoint" Roadshow at the Omni Hotel in Richmond (really luxurious hotel with a Starbucks inside). It was excellent in my opinion because it was really for people like myself who are kind of a mid-level SharePoint Developer & Administrator. During the sessions the presenter went over SharePoint infrastructure & terminology, deployment, backup and recovery, farm architectures and best of all overall best practices from the industry. The presenter seemed knowledgeable about alot of things in SharePoint. He even took the time and went over every menu option and feature and told us whether it was used in the industry or not and if it was he told us how it was used, which really helped me. I took quite a few notes. I would post them but I left them home. I came away with quite a few "I did not realize you can do that in MOSS 2007." Since I have only implemented WSS 3.0, I did not realized the differences in MOSS. I still would say its not that much, it mainly depends on your client's needs. In my in-between sessions with the presenter I asked the question "Do you see more people going from WSS to MOSS or MOSS to WSS?". He said quite a few people want to go from MOSS to WSS. I was not surprised because of the money factor and the client's basic needs. A couple of additional things I wish WSS could do that MOSS does but it's not that critical in our environment.

I was surprised to learn that the next version of MOSS will be 64 bit ONLY. I hope they don't do that to WSS.

The sponsers Quest Software and AvePoint presented as well. The Quest Software SharePoint Administration Software I thought rocked! If you have a SharePoint Farm, you might want to look them up.

Too bad Richmond was the last stop. If you missed it, you missed a good and very informative Roadshow.

Next stop VSLive 2008 Dallas!

Until next time...

Comments

Popular Posts